MINDBODY Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
The Blueshirt Group
MINDBODY Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
Company Delivers Full Year Revenue Growth of 45% over 2014
Subscription and Services Revenue Increases 51% over 2014
Payments Revenue Increases 44% over 2014
San Luis Obispo, CA –February 10, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MINDBODY, Inc. (NASDAQ:MB), the leading provider of cloud-based business management software for the wellness services industry and an emerging consumer marketplace, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2015.
“The MINDBODY team completed our first year as a public company with excellent results,” said Rick Stollmeyer, co-founder and chief executive officer of MINDBODY. “We experienced strong growth and improved margins as we increased subscriber, consumer and API partner adoption worldwide. As we look to 2016 and beyond, our network effects are stronger than ever and we are excited to deliver even more value to our subscribers and consumers in the years ahead.”
"2015 was another successful year for MINDBODY, highlighted by 45% revenue growth and record subscriber additions,” said Brett White, chief financial officer of MINDBODY. “As we enter 2016, we look forward to continuing to execute toward growth and profitability.”
Fourth Quarter 2015 Key Metrics
- End of year subscribers grew 27% year over year to 51,481.
- Average monthly revenue per subscriber (ARPS) grew 13% year over year to approximately $185.
- Dollar-based net expansion rate was 113%, compared to 109% as of the end of the fourth quarter of 2014. This metric nets the effects of subscriber churn against the increasing value of subscribers retained, indicating the consistent increase in value of MINDBODY’s subscriber cohorts over time.
- Payments volume increased 24% year over year to approximately $1.4 billion.
Fourth Quarter 2015 Financial Results
- Total revenue in the fourth quarter of 2015 was $28.3 million, a 40% increase year over year.
- Subscription and services revenue in the quarter was $17.0 million, a 44% increase year over year.
- Payments revenue in the fourth quarter was $10.6 million, a 43% increase year over year.
- Recurring revenue1 increased 43% year over year. Recurring revenue is the sum of MINDBODY’s subscription and services revenue and payments revenue. Recurring revenue comprised 98% of total revenue in the fourth quarter of 2015, up from 96% in the fourth quarter of 2014.
- GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders in the fourth quarter of 2015 was $(9.8) million, or $(0.25) per basic and diluted share, compared to a GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders in the fourth quarter of 2014 of $(15.1) million, or $(1.36) per basic and diluted share.
- Non-GAAP net loss1 in the fourth quarter of 2015 was $(6.6) million, which represented 23% of revenue, or $(0.17) per basic and diluted share, compared to a non-GAAP net loss in the fourth quarter of 2014 of $(6.0) million, which represented 30% of revenue, or $(0.19) per basic and diluted share.
- Adjusted EBITDA loss1 in the fourth quarter of 2015 was $(4.3) million, which represented 15% of revenue, compared to an Adjusted EBITDA loss in the fourth quarter of 2014 of $(4.4) million, which represented 22% of revenue.
Full Year 2015 Financial Results
- Total revenue for the full year 2015 was $101.4 million, a 45% increase year over year.
- Subscription and services revenue for the full year 2015 was $61.3 million, a 51% increase year over year.
- Payments revenue for the full year 2015 was $37.5 million, a 44% increase year over year.
- Recurring revenue1 increased 48% year over year. Recurring revenue is the sum of MINDBODY’s subscription and services revenue and payments revenue. Recurring revenue comprised 97% of total revenue in 2015, up from 95% in 2014.
- GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders for the full year 2015 was $(44.2) million, or $(1.68) per basic and diluted share, compared to a GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders for the full year 2014 of $(45.9) million, or $(4.17) per basic and diluted share.
- Non-GAAP net loss1 for the full year 2015 was $(27.7) million, which represented 27% of revenue, or $(0.77) per basic and diluted share, compared to a non-GAAP net loss for the full year 2014 of $(22.9) million, which represented 33% of revenue or $(0.73) per basic and diluted share.
- Adjusted EBITDA loss1 for the full year 2015 was $(19.9) million, which represented 20% of revenue, compared to an Adjusted EBITDA loss for the full year 2014 of $(18.8) million which represented 27% of revenue.
- Mobile App Expansion – We continue to extend our mobile capabilities. In December, we successfully introduced the new MINDBODY® app which uses a new deals and recommendations engine to help people find, book, and pay for personalized wellness experiences based on their location and past activities. In February, we acquired Fitness Mobile Apps and rebranded it as MINDBODY Engage™, providing MINDBODY subscribers with the opportunity to create their own branded app experience. Engage subscriptions doubled in our first year, and now serve more than 6,000 of our wellness business subscribers.
- Platform Expansion – We expanded our platform with numerous partnerships and integrations, including global integrations with Xero and Fitbit, and a partnership with Lending Club. Additionally, we expanded our payments capabilities in several countries, including in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia, Switzerland, The Netherlands and Hong Kong.
- Industry Recognition – We were honored with a Glassdoor Employees' Choice Award for the third year in a row, recognized as one of the Best Places to Work in 2016. We were ranked 14 in the top 50 places to work amongst companies with 1,000 employees or more. In August, we were named by Inc. Magazine as one of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. for the 8th consecutive year, ranking 1658 among 5000 in this year's list.
- Product Recognition – We continue to be recognized for creating best-in-class software for our subscribers and consumers. In January, the new MINDBODY app made Apple’s Best Apps of 2016 list. In October, MINDBODY Express won the Silicon Valley Business App Award for Best Finance and Management App of 2015. The MINDBODY Connect app (now the MINDBODY app) received a 2015 SIIA Software CODiE Award for Best Consumer Application.
1 Recurring revenue, non-GAAP net loss and adjusted EBITDA are non-GAAP financial measures. A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures is provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included under the heading “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
For the first quarter and full year of 2016, MINDBODY expects to report:
- Revenue for the first quarter of 2016 in the range of $29.7 million to $30.7 million, representing 33% to 38% growth over the first quarter of 2015.
- Revenue for the full year of 2016 in the range of $132.5 million to $136.5 million, representing 31% to 35% growth over the full year of 2015.
- Non-GAAP net loss for the first quarter of 2016 in the range of $(6.0) million to $(7.0) million and non-GAAP weighted average shares outstanding for the fourth quarter of approximately 39.5 million shares.
- Non-GAAP net loss for the full year of 2016 in the range of $(23.0) million to $(26.0) million and non-GAAP weighted average shares outstanding for the full year of approximately 39.9 million shares.
While a reconciliation of non-GAAP guidance measures to corresponding GAAP measures is not available on a forward-looking basis, MINDBODY has provided a reconciliation of historical GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included under the heading "Non-GAAP Financial Measures."
Quarterly Conference Call and Related Information
MINDBODY will discuss its quarterly results today at 1:30 p.m. PT (4:30 p.m. ET)
- Dial in: To access the call, please dial (855) 542-4215, or outside the U.S. (412) 455-6078, with Conference ID# 9639742, at least five minutes prior to the 1:30 p.m. PT start time.
- Webcast and Related Investor Materials: A live webcast and replay of the call, as well as related investor materials, will be available at http://investors.mindbodyonline.com/ under the Events and Presentations menu.
- Audio replay: An audio replay will be available between 4:30 p.m. PT February 10, 2016 and 8:59 p.m. PT February 13, 2016 by calling (855) 859-2056 or (404) 537-3406 with Passcode 9639742.
MINDBODY is the leading provider of cloud-based business management software for the wellness services industry and an emerging consumer marketplace, with over 51,000 local business subscribers in over 130 countries and territories. These subscribers provide a variety of wellness services to approximately 28 million active consumers. MINDBODY's integrated software and payments platform helps business owners in the wellness services industry run, market and build their businesses. MINDBODY also helps consumers more easily evaluate, engage and transact with these businesses, enabling them to live healthier and happier lives.
# # #
© 2016 MINDBODY, Inc. All rights reserved. MINDBODY, the Enso logo and Love Your Business are trademarks or registered trademarks of MINDBODY, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Other company and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release and the accompanying conference call contain forward-looking statements about our expected financial results for the first quarter of 2016 and full year 2016, the influence of and network effects across our platform, our continued investment in and expectations about our growth and profitability, our large scale Corporate Wellness subscribers, our international payments integrations, our partnerships with Xero, Fitbit and Lending Club, our expectations about future industry partnerships, our forecast for profitability, the performance of our Marketing Platform and new App, and our expectations regarding market growth.
These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. If any of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or if any of our assumptions prove incorrect, our actual results could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include risks associated with: our limited operating history in a new and unproven market; engagement of our subscribers and their consumers; the return on our strategic investments; execution of our plans and strategies, including with respect to mobile products and features and corporate wellness offerings; any failure of our security measures, including the risk that such measures may be insufficient to secure our subscriber and consumer data adequately or that we may become subject to attacks that degrade or deny the ability of our subscribers and consumers to access our platform; our ability to timely and effectively scale and adapt our existing technology and network infrastructure to ensure that our solutions are accessible at all times with short or no perceptible load times; our ability to maintain our rate of revenue growth and manage our expenses and investment plans; any decrease in subscriber demand for our software products, features and/or service offerings; changes in privacy or other regulations that could impact our ability to serve our subscribers and their consumers or adversely impact our monetization efforts; increasing competition; our ability to manage our growth, including internationally; and our ability to recruit and retain our employees; general economic, market and business conditions; and the risks described in the other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time, including the risks described under the heading “Risk Factors” in our Form 10-Q, which was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 6, 2015 and the risks described under the heading “Risk Factors” that will be in our Form 10-K, which will be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission for the year ended December 31, 2015, which should be read in conjunction with our financial results and forward-looking statements and are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Relations page of our website at http://investors.mindbodyonline.com/.
All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to us as of the date hereof, and we do not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking statements provided to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made. Definitions of all key metrics used in this press release can be found in our filings with the SEC.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In this press release and the related conference call, MINDBODY has provided financial information that has not been prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States (GAAP). We disclose the following non-GAAP financial measures in this press release: Adjusted EBITDA, recurring revenue, non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP weighted average shares outstanding, and non-GAAP net loss per share attributable to common stockholders, basic and diluted. We use these non-GAAP financial measures internally in analyzing our financial results and evaluating our ongoing operational performance. We believe that these non-GAAP financial measures provide an additional tool for investors to use in understanding and evaluating ongoing operating results and trends in the same manner as our management and board of directors. Our use of these non-GAAP financial measures has limitations as an analytical tool, and you should not consider them in isolation or as a substitute for analysis of our financial results as reported under GAAP. Because of these and other limitations, you should consider these non-GAAP financial measures along with other GAAP-based financial performance measures, including various cash flow metrics, net loss, and our GAAP financial results. We have provided a reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP measures in the financial statement tables included in this press release, and investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation.
We define Adjusted EBITDA as our net loss before stock-based compensation expense, depreciation and amortization, change in fair value of contingent consideration, change in fair value of preferred stock warrant, impairment charges, provision for income taxes, and other income (expense), net, which consisted of interest income and expense, and other miscellaneous other income (expense). We have provided below a reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to net loss, the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure. We have presented Adjusted EBITDA in this press release because it is a key measure used by our management and board of directors to understand and evaluate our core operating performance and trends, to prepare and approve our annual budget, and to develop short and long-term operational plans. In particular, we believe that the exclusion of the amounts eliminated in calculating Adjusted EBITDA can provide a useful measure for period-to-period comparisons of our core business. Adjusted EBITDA has a number of limitations, including the following: (1) although depreciation and amortization expense are noncash charges, the assets being depreciated and amortized may have to be replaced in the future, and Adjusted EBITDA does not reflect cash capital expenditure requirements for such replacements or for new capital expenditure requirements; (2) Adjusted EBITDA does not reflect changes in, or cash requirements for, our working capital needs, the potentially dilutive impact of stock-based compensation, or tax payments that may represent a reduction in cash available to us; (3) Adjusted EBITDA excludes stock-based compensation expense, which has been and will continue to be for the foreseeable future a significant recurring expense in MINDBODY’s business; and (4) other companies, including companies in our industry, may calculate Adjusted EBITDA or similarly titled measures differently, which reduces its usefulness as a comparative measure.
Recurring revenue, Non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP weighted average shares outstanding and non-GAAP net loss per share
We define recurring revenue as the sum of subscription and services revenue and payments revenue. We define non-GAAP net loss as the respective GAAP balance adjusted for: (1) stock-based compensation expense, (2) accretion of redeemable convertible preferred stock, and (3) deemed dividend – preferred stock modification. Non-GAAP net loss per share is calculated as non-GAAP net loss divided by the non-GAAP weighted-average shares outstanding that are adjusted to assume the conversion of outstanding redeemable convertible preferred stock into common stock as of the beginning of the period. These non-GAAP financial measures have a number of limitations, including the following: (1)these non-GAAP financial measures exclude stock-based compensation expense, which has been and will continue to be for the foreseeable future a significant recurring expense in MINDBODY’s business; and (2) other companies, including companies in our industry, may exclude different non-recurring items in their calculation of these non-GAAP financial measures, which reduces their usefulness as a comparative measure.
# # #