Whether you've been in the business for a while, or are just looking to open a spa or salon, there are plenty of potential pitfalls. We worked with industry expert, Lisa Starr, to create a list of the most common mistakes people make and how to ensure you don't make (or continue making) them.
Download our checklist and see learn the six most common mistakes salons and spas make and details on how to avoid them. Here's a sneak peek:
- Mistake #1 | A fuzzy why: If your business is going to succeed in the long term, you need to have a clear vision for your salon or spa (it all starts with a proper salon or spa business plan) and top-notch branding
- Mistake #2 | The math doesn't add up: Avoid having this problem plague you by focusing on cash flow, budgeting, and identifying a path to profitability (if you're not already there)
- Mistake #3 | Underestimating the importance of your team: You need to follow sensible hiring protocols to find people who understand and can help you carry out your vision; having an excellent team means a superior experience for your customers (hi, retention!)
- Mistake #4 | Making things difficult for your clients: Avoid this common trap with simple online booking available 24/7, making it clear what services your spa or salon offers and when you're open, and explaining how you're keeping staff and customers alike safe in the time of COVID
- Mistake #5 | Not taking advantage of retail: Spas and salons learned to rely on retail recently, and there's no denying this will be an important revenue stream moving forward; make sure you're increasing your average ticket with products for customers to take home (sell online, too!)
- Mistake #6 | Neglecting the greater ecosphere: Spas and salons don't exist in a vacuum; it's important for salon and spa owners to consider what trends are happening in the industry and ensure they're regularly engaging with their communities