How Salons and Spas Can Participate in Black Friday, SMB Saturday, and Cyber Monday
By Denise Prichard
It’s the most wonderful (and profitable) time of the year. Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday, the shopping weekend to end all shopping weekends, all spell opportunity and revenue for your salon or spa. Since these milestone retail days occur November 28, November 29, and November 30 (respectively) this year, now is the time to plan.
We all know that these shopping days can literally make your year as a salon or spa owner. In fact, that’s how it all started. Black Friday began in the 1960s as a day when retailers traditionally went “into the black” for the year. Small Business Saturday is in its ninth year, encouraging people to shop at establishments like yours. And the National Retail Federation (NRF) coined the term Cyber Monday in 2005 to describe a sharp rise in eCommerce sales on the first Monday after Thanksgiving.
So, how can spas and salons claim their share of the retail cornucopia?
First, help customers find you. Promote all your weekend specials through targeted marketing campaigns like email marketing and on your social media accounts and website. Begin a teaser campaign now. Let everyone know what you’re offering and when.
Here are some other things you might try:
With a little creativity and planning, you, too, can take advantage of the most profitable shopping day of the year:
- Offer a blowout series, where the discount increases over three visits – for instance, 20% off the first appointment, 30% off the second, and 30% plus a free retail product on the third visit. For example, here’s where a BFF promotion could also come into play, allowing you to provide a more generous discount in return for booking two services.
- Promote spa offers that are only available during certain times each day. For instance, all day on Black Friday you could offer a month-long membership that includes massage or facial, 20% off additional treatments and featured products, and 20% off add-ons and upgrades. Between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m., clients who buy a gift certificate could receive a free treatment or upgrade. And between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m., customers who purchase two or more products or gift items from your boutique can receive 20% off. You’ve got your customers’ attention for the full day!
- Create gift card purchase incentives. For example, with gift card purchases of $100 or more, give the purchaser 20% off a service of a product of their choice. This way, buyers can treat themselves or add a bonus gift for the recipient. Download our guide to become a champ at selling gift cards.
- Shave $10 or 25% off all services provided that day.
- Reduce the price of your hair accessories and products. Try a buy one, get one at 50% promotion.
Small Business Saturday
Cultivate community among other local businesses and with current clients and prospects. Invite patrons to visit and enjoy the anticipation of the season. Make it fun! Throw open your doors, set up tables outside, and offer perks in your lobby or near your front desk. Spas can offer free hand massages or chair massages, while salons can provide free consultations on hair color and makeup.
You should also:
- Hang special signage in your spa or salon now to encourage customers to shop locally.
- Create an email campaign that includes a total of five email messages (about once a week). Use your customer email lists to support this. If five emails sound like too many for your clientele, send an announcement that you’ll be participating, a reminder and a thank you message to those customers who stopped by.
- Give out as many free mini-sized products as you can. People love freebies!
- Give customers who spend $30 or more, 10% off their next purchase.
Although you wouldn’t think spas and salons could compete on this shopping day-of-days (you can’t do a blowout or manicure online!), there are some ways to use this day to your advantage.
- Never underestimate the power of a gift card. Make them available for sale on your website and Facebook Page, and make them easy to print out or email.
- Work with your product vendors on product selection and post photos of your holiday gift packages on your website and social media accounts.
- If you have an eCommerce option, offer special deals for purchases just through your online store.
- Offer free shipping for online purchases. It’s easy to mail retail products and gift cards.
Now’s the time to line up your holiday sales weekend activities and specials. There’s plenty of opportunity waiting for your spa or salon. And with a little imagination and effort, you can get your slice of the holiday revenue pie.