No matter how long you’ve been practicing yoga, we all hit points where we need a little extra motivation or a new viewpoint to refresh our practices. We’ve partnered with Brian Leaf, author of The Teacher Appears: 108 Prompts to Power Your Yoga Practice to provide you with five prompts to help give your yoga practice a boost.
- Practice on a blanket today rather than on your sticky mat. Notice which muscles you use to stabilize your feet. How do your postures feel different?
- Try adding mudra to your practice. When possible, while holding each posture, touch your index finger to your thumb to make Gyan Mudra. How does it feel? Record your results in your practice journal.
- For the rest of the day, every time you hear a smartphone beep or buzz, stop whatever you are doing and take a deep, mindful breath.
- Try this 7-Day Yoga Challenge: Practice for at least 15 minutes every day this week and see if it makes you feel more or less harried or rushed.
- Focusing your gaze focuses the mind. Experiment with drishti (focused gaze) during yoga postures today. During each posture, choose a point of focus—such as your thumb, your toes, or a distant point on the wall or floor. How does this alter your practice?