We all love breakfast in bed and the sweet tissue paper collages, but why not shake up your Mother’s Day routine with some fun fitness the whole family can enjoy together?
Being a mom is a combination of total joy and complete exhaustion—usually in the same 20 minutes. Often we make space for all the play dates, practice schedules and dioramas by letting our own well-being take a back seat. But, it doesn’t have to be that way.
This Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to introduce a yoga routine the whole family can do. Happily, for kids as well as adults, a little yoga goes a long way. Spending even a few moments focusing on the body and breath will help everyone feel more at ease and energized all day long. Plus, sharing in an activity that releases mental and emotional tension is a great way to model self-care and teach your kids a fun way to make it a part of any day.
Here are 5 simple yoga stretches to get both Mom and your little yogis moving on Mother’s Day:
- Star Make a triangle with your legs. Press down through your feet and reach your arms out wide.
- Bird: Focus on one point and reach your arms behind you. Lift your foot behind you and balance. Then switch feet.
- Tree: Become tall in your spine. Rest your foot on your ankle or above your knee and balance. Then switch feet.
- Cat: Inhale and look up, letting your belly drop low. Exhale and tuck your chin, arching your spine high.
- Child’s Pose: Press back on your heels and rest.